Wednesday 3 April 2013

Granny Squares Quilt

I am working on a quilt.  It is called a granny squares quilt and I first saw it here on blue elephant stitches.  Here is what I have done so far.
I have made 7 blocks out of 20.  But reading blue elephant stitches I have just seen that when finished it will be 50" x 60" which I don't think is big enough as I want it for a single bed.  So I think I will need about 30 blocks in total.  Each of the little squares above is 2" on each side.
I am enjoying using any fabric bits and pieces I have.  Giving them a new purpose in life.
Some of these won't make the cut, like those icecreams.
And this will be my next one.  I am on a roll. My cutting board is too small.  I don't have a larger one.  If I get one, I want one of the purple ones that is supposed to sharpen your blade whilst you cut.  Do these work?  Any advice would be most welcome.

15 comments:

  1. Never heard of a sharpening cutting board! Seems interesting, will do some research. I have a light grey one myself, very quiet, I hate the green ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks verry beautiful to me.

    Greetings Ria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blocks. This quilt has been on my to-do list for some time. Seeing your beautiful blocks just might make me bump it up the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your granny squares are so charming. I love the soft feel your colour choices give the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your granny squares. Really lovely soft colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhhhhhhh, so glad you shared these - i am loving yours! they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great scrappy blocks! If I ever make a granny square quilt it will definitely be with my scraps. I love having a 36" cutting mat. It is one of the green ones, but I read somewhere that fiskers has a double sided mat. So once you wear out one side, you can use the other. so that is my plan for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your granny square blocks are all so lovely. It's going to be a beautiful quilt when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love granny squares! I'm hoping to make some pillowcases to go with the Glamping quilt I've currently got in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on fabric choices for your squares. These blocks look wonderful and will make a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice Granny Squares :)

    Thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods Monday! Hope to have you party with us again next week!

    Chelsea @ Married Filing Jointly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great - nice way to use up scraps!

    I got the biggest possible double sided mat and love it! Makes cutting fabric so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am now looking through your blog having followed the link from Sew Darn Crafty. This is great - I love that it uses easy squares but looks so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful blocks! Keep building them!!!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete