Friday 19 April 2013

Granny Squares Quilt Finished

I have finished my granny squares quilt!  I am pleased with it now it is all together.
I hand quilted around the squares and added a thick border and machine quilted that in lines.  I did round corners.  The advantage of  round corners is that it is easier to bind, the disadvantage is that you have to use biased binding which is harder to make that non biased binding.  But I think it is worth it.
The back is made from some strawberry print which is very thin and was cheap - only $3 per metre and ikea fabric which is pretty thick and great for backing.  The thin fabric was a pain because it was hard to get flat before quilting and I had to constantly check it wasn't getting rucked.  I also basted and took it all out and did it again which is always annoying.

 I made my binding 2" wide and I love skinny binding.
So I have finished it and I want to put it on my nephew's bed when he comes to visit from the UK in a few months.  But what to work on next?  I have decided I want to make some clothes.  I want to make at least one dress for myself and a dress and skirt for my daughter.   I am totally inspired by The Great British Sewing Bee on UK television.  I can make clothes but I haven't done it for age and I know I'll enjoy doing it again.

16 comments:

  1. I love your quilt!!! I love the blue border. Is that a Kona? what shade? The quilting on the border is nice, and the binding gives a nice contrast. The rounded corners are very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, thanks! It is not kona, it is just a blue marl cotton that I bought from spotlight.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the beautiful finish! Oh my, did I miss a new "Great British.... something crafty"? I have to catch up very very soon!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great finish! Love the striped binding...perfect finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt. Those colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love granny square quilts so much--and the skinny striped binding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is really beautiful and I love the skinny striped binding! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your granny quilt looks lovely! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute quilt! I love the wide border.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the chambray border!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! Love your color choices in the blocks, they are really beautiful together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! I love this timeless quilt pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. really lovely quilt, I love the quilting and binding on it. I have used IKEA fabric on the back and it worked out great. I think I need to get the granny top I made last year out and finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty!! Thank you for sharing at the Give Me The Goods Link Party!! www.dimplesandpigtales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete