Monday 29 April 2013

Finished Bedside Table

I finished the bedside table I found!
I showed it to you first here.
The before photo does not show how yellowed the paint was.  It must have been oil based as this yellows and water based paints do not.  This and cleaning the brushes is why I don't think I will ever use oil based paint again.
What I cannot believe is that I bought the paint first and then found the knobs afterwards! I can't get over what a  great match they are.  I wasn't really looking for pink knobs, I would have settled on white or crystal or something but I found those little pink ones and loved them.  They are ceramic.  The pink is a british paints colour called Riot mixed with semigloss water based white.  Paint in Australia is really expensive so I bought a tester pot in a dark colour and watered it down with white.  This is great when you need small amounts like here for the drawers.  The tester pot was about $5 and I hardly used any of it, and the knobs were $12, so project total cost was less than $20.  After mixing the semigloss with the matt/flat tester pot paint I found it wasn't very glossy, so I used a water based varnish over the top to give it a bit more sheen.  I used Cabothane satin.
The bedside table is for my daughter but she is still in a cot so I have put it beside my sons bed to show it in situ.  I haven't yet made a single pink quilt that will go with it, so I used the one I made for my son, but it doesn't really go.  I love his bed.  It is all wooden and of course was orangey brown wood when I bought it from a second hand furniture shop.  It was a bit hard to paint, just because of the turned wood, but worth it.
I think this shows that even the simplest paint jobs and hardware changes can make something boring into something that is a real asset to a room!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! I did quite a bit of this when my kids were small too... and you end up with some really unique pieces with character for them. And the quilt of course is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I just picked up a small chest of drawers and repainted it. Looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so pretty! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I love the pink ;) Thanks so much for linking up to Give Me The Goods Monday. Hope to see you again next week ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete