Tuesday 6 August 2013

Quilted Patchwork Tablet Case

Remember I started a tablet case as a gift here? Well I finished it!
It is about halfway to the UK at the moment on the way to my dad.  It won't be much of a surprise :)
Last week I made the patchwork front and then yesterday I finished it as my sister was leaving and needed to take it with her.  I hope he likes it.  He didn't want really girly colours...
I had to put binding on the front side opening end but I decided to do the back differently so it didn't need binding.  So I made a sandwich if the lining and back right sides together and the batting next to the lining and sewed along the top.  Then I turned it so it was right sides out and did one line of stitching along the top.  I then did straight line quilting on the rest of the back and the lines were about 0.5" apart.  As it is quite small this was quick.
 I did some thin binding along the front opening end.  I did at all by machine.  This worked ok although it looks all a bit wavy in that shot.  It isn't wavy in real life.
Then I sewed the front and backs together.  I then made my binding. 
Here is the quilted back before binding.  I love the simple quilting.  I also like the denim fabric.  I don't know where it is from as I was given it by a freecycler.  What is that bit of white fluff in that picture?  Oh, just some white fluff.
And here it is with the binding on.  I hand sewed it to the back as it was quite a few layers and I didn't think I would be able to machine it on and have it look very neat on the front.  I also messed up the top right by not having enough binding length to finish off nicely. Oh dear. But it isn't THAT noticable.
I hope my daddy loves it and it keeps his tablet nice and safe and free from scratches!

16 comments:

  1. wonderful patchwork....your dad is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I really like the denim as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, I might have to make one for my tablet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep saying I'm going to make one of those. I have a case that is protective, but I think I want the pretty one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really cute! I need to make a case for my son's Kindle! I'll definitely keep track of this!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up at Needle and Thread Thursday!

      :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

      Delete
  6. It is super cute! Visiting from Freshly Pieced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I loved that you used denim also. Makes it more durable. Thanks for sharing.

    Get Your Crap Together
    Please join our Pattern Party It starts the 1st of each month

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat little pouch and love the fabrics in it! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dad will cherish it for sure ;-) nice fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dad is going to love the Kindle case!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea and what a way to use fabric scraps! Thanks for sharing!
    (Found you via Sew Many Ways!)

    Enjoy your creative day!

    ~~ Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I should make one for my Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. I may have to make one for my Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like making tablet covers! They are so much fun and QUICK! Yours is so cute! I love the quilt squares. I hope your Dad likes it! :)
    Gina @ Gina's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a wonderful case! and quite manly!

    ReplyDelete