Friday 23 August 2013

Finished! Hexagon Log Cabin Quilt!

I finished it!  I had a tiny bit to do for about the last month and I just procrastinated and didn't do it and then suddenly, it was finished!
I machine quilted it and then added some hand quilting to the hexagons to show them off.


I hand quilted in red around the second border only if there was a red fabric in the border.  I think these ones look the best.
The back is made up of the larger panel that came with the children at play fabric by Sarah Jane, some squares of the fabric and also some white fabric with writing from ikea.  The ikea fabric is quite thin which makes it harder to get flat.  I love the design though and I think ti offsets the girlishness of the children at play fabric well.
The squares are 3.5" finished so started off at 4".

The binding is bright turquoise with pink polka dots and little panda heads which is so cute. I found it at spotlight.  I cut it into 2.25" strip which gives a nice narrow binding which I like.
And here it is on my daughters bed with the bedside table I painted, the bed I painted and the patchwork E and patchwork pillow!  I wish my bedroom had been so sweet when I was little.

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I especially love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the bedroom looks perfect with the quilt on the bed, Nicely done :0)!
    I hope your little princess loves it.

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! Colours are fabulous and I love hexagons. Thanks for sharing. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the fabric you choose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Especially the pictures in the middle of the hexagons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful piece.
    Of only I would find the time to make a quilt!
    One day I will!!!

    Thanks for sharing/inspiring. :)

    Cheers,
    Dorothee (www.mimismae.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw your beautiful quilt and have become a follower. Love all the things you do. Just need to find some fabric for a log cabin hexie quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Hexie quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty quilt - I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt and the fabrics are so neat! Your daughter will love this! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. you really did a great job I love pink and red! lisa mortell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I wish my bedroom looked like that when I was little too :) The hand quilting around the hexies is a very nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is beautiful! Do you have a tutorial on how to make the "E"? My daughters would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. visiting from Sew Many Ways. Wow that must have taken ages to do. It is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that Ikea fabric. I saw it when I was there a few weeks ago and it look great in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilt and so girly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect quilt for a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a absolutely beautiful quilt!!! You are very creative.
    Stopping by from "My Favorite Posts Show Off Weekend". Following you on Facebook, Twitter, and Bloglovin.
    Have a nice day!
    Bismah @
    http://simplemamaathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so pretty! What a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful quilt, the hand quilting is so pretty! Hope you're going to fill the names in the family tree :) The panda binding is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a fabulous finish well done! I really love the fabrics especially the fussy cut centers :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, I love it!! I am always so excited to see one of my tutorials being used and this is in one of my favorite fabric lines, so it's a double woohoo!! You did a beautiful job - I love the addition of the border squares!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Marianne! This whole room is beautiful. What a lucky little girl to have a mom that cares sew much! I was just looking at the tutorial for this quilt at The Sewing Chick yesterday. I love your version! And how you added the patchwork to the borders. The hand embroidery.... Also a very fine touch!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Marianne! This whole room is beautiful. What a lucky little girl to have a mom that cares sew much! I was just looking at the tutorial for this quilt at The Sewing Chick yesterday. I love your version! And how you added the patchwork to the borders. The hand embroidery.... Also a very fine touch!

    ReplyDelete