Wednesday 21 August 2013

New Hexagon WIP

I love to make hexagons.  I have started something new today and it is my favourite kind of sewing.
I am going to make a small cushion cover and it will be patchwork, so a random pattern of hexagons.  It will mostly be pink! I want to use all the pinks I have bought lately and make it really cute and girly.
To make hexagon patchwork you start with paper templates.
I printed some sheets from the internet and I am making 1" hexagons which means each side is 1".  This is my new favourite size of hexagon.  You cut lots and lots of hexagons out of paper. 
In the picture above I have started to make a hexagon.  I have cut fabric shapes which are roughly hexagon but larger than the paper hexagons.   Then I tack the fabric onto the paper hexagon.  This is English paper piecing (EPP).
I am going to make a lot more hexagons before I start to sew them together.  So far the fabrics are from lecien antique flower and Sarah Jane children at play and one hex of Tanya Whelan hatbox.
I have a teeny tiny little bit of sewing to do on my hexagon log cabins quilt and I really need to get that finished and photographed.  Maybe this week!


22 comments:

  1. Now those are really tiny, I don't have the patience for it myself. I did make some bigger ones and scattered them on a quilt top which is not done yet. Very pretty fabric you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Love your fussy cuts on some of the hexies too.. and pink is sooo sweet!

    Amira @ http://littlemushroomcap.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute hexies. They are addictive aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fussy cut hexies are the fabulous. I am a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I'm in the middle of a hexie project right now too. They are so addictive, aren't they?! And I love your fussy cut pinwheel hexie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pink hexies. You make it look doable. One day I would like to try too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tiny hexagons are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this so takes me back - I remember doing this as a child. Yours looks so pretty - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I have my Grandmother's original steel hexagon that she used to make countless quilts and curtains with. It is so precious! Make sure you post the finished product for lots of oooh factor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some tiny little hexies, but they're looking great! Definitely can't wait to see the progress!

    I'm so glad you shared this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love hexagons......sooo..ooo gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from NTT Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like it will be gorgeous when finished! Can't wait to see it! Mamagoingsolo.com saying hi from FYBF :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dropped by from SMW Find A Friend - what a fab quilt and I love your hand quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your hexies - so delicate. I'm working on a project with similar sized pieces that I call Minnie - just hand stitched, not EPP. It will take me forever but I'm thoroughly enjoying it; take a peek if you like: http://rie-quiltbee.blogspot.ca/search/label/Minnie .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are so cute! I love the one with the socks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute hexies! I love fussy bits of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute! Love the fussy cut hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the little hexies, especially the pinwheel one :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty! I love those colors together :)

    ReplyDelete